Sunday, November 22, 2009

Harvest Apple Pie

pple pie is one of my favorite things to make around the holidays.

I decided to make this one a little early.  I will cool it and freeze it for Thanksgiving.  I dont have enough oven space to do this on the big day. Maybe I should invest in a Turkey Roaster so that I can free up more oven space during the holidays.

I like to mix apples in my pie, i like the combo of sweet and tart

2-3 Granny Smith Apples
2-3 Jonagold or Cameo Apples
1/4 cup of flour
3/4 cups of sugar
2 tsp. apple pie spices
2 tbls unsalted butter
Lemon Juice for the apples
Prepared Pie Crust or Puff Pastry Sheets

I like to slice up my apples thin, then toss them in the lemon juice about 1 tbls to keep them from browning.


Then I prepare the sugar,flour, and spice in a bowl and stir to incorporate then mix in with the apples.  Set aside while preparing the crust.

I use a prepared pie crust, its easy and tastes just as good as the ones I make, with less hassle.  Prep the bottom crust.  Then begin to carefully layer the apples.  I like to fill the crust nice and full.  Then arrange small pieces of the butter along the top.  You can also melt the butter and add to the apples and spice mix.


Then prep the top crust.  I like to either use a full crust with little cutouts.  I use the mine cookie cutters for shapes like stars and moons to cut out the vent holes.  This time I went with the traditional lattice top.  Which I am not very good at.  This is one of my best attempts in a long time.



Brush with a egg was if desired and then bake for 15 minutes in prepared 450 degree oven.  Then I cover lightly with foil, reduce temp to 350 and bake for another 30-40 minutes.  If the crust is not brown enough remove foil and bake until golden and bubbly.

Serve with french vanilla ice cream and I am in heaven.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers