Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pot Pies, Nascar, and Football

How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways :-)  Time to clean out the fridge and get rid of all the odd and ends.  You know...that quarter of an onion and the left overs you didnt want to throw out.

So, that leads me to my favorite thing for cleaning out the fridge....Pot Pies.  And I even had half a puff pastry sheet left over in the freezer from the apple tart from last week!

Here is my easy recipe for my pot pie last nite.

one puff pastry sheet
onions, green or yellow
corn
peas
squash
one par boiled red potato cubed
mushrooms
carrots
1 tbls ap flour
1 tbls butter
2 cups chicken stock

I like to chop up all the veggies and any meat you may have and lightly sautee in a small amount of olive oil.   If meat is raw, then sautee it first till done then add the veggies. Remove from pan.  Add flour and butter and make a roux.  I like to take mine to a dark blonde color.  Add stock and wisk till thickened.

Prepare your ramikins or you can use one big bowl or baker.  I like to use the individual ones that way no one steals my crust.  Roll out the puff to about double the size.  I like to cut out a bottom and top crust.  Cut out bottom crust, slightly larger than the actuall bottom as it will shrink as it cooks.  Blind bake this at 375 for about 10 minutes till golden.  Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes.  Add your meat/veggie mixture then top with the sauce, up to the top of the veggie mixure.  Then drape the top crust over the top. I like to make mine bigger than the container, so it drapes over the side for maximum crust! 

Lower heat to 350 and bake for about 25-30 minutes.  Till top is golden brown to your liking.  Since the veggie/meat mixture was already hot it doesnt take long. Be sure to place you ramikins or container over a foil lined baking sheet, as you will get a lot of bubble over.

Let sit for about 5 minutes and enjoy!  This time I made it with a mac and cheese.  Talk about a calorie fest and comfort food to boot.  It was the perfect combination.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers