Thursday, October 15, 2009

Red Beans, Rice and Corn Muffins, OH MY

A perfect day for warm and spicy red beans and rice with andouille sausage.

Spicy, warm and filling.  I like to slice up my andouille and brown it with green peppers and some jalapeño and then add it to my beans and rice during the last 5 minutes of cooking.  And I like my rice to be saucy!

So, I needed something to go with my beans and rice.  What better than corn muffins!  I wanted to make corn muffins with a little more umpf than just plain.  And I hate sweet tasting corn muffins.  I am picky about my corn bread products.  So I thought I would add some extras to make it special.

I like to call this Susie's Spicy Corn Bread

Here goes:

1 cup of corn meal
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of sugar (less if you like it less sweet)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 room temp large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup of warmed milk, I use 1%, buttermilk also works great if you have some leftovers hanging around!
1 tbls. melted butter
1 seeded and ribbed jalapeño, finely chopped
1/2 cup of prev. frozen or tinned whole corn
1/2 to 3/4 cup of finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, I like the White Vermont kind
1/8 tsp. dried dill
1 clove pressed garlic, this needs to be super fine pressed, chopped or paste


Mix all ingredients together.  Let mix stand for about 5 minutes to let the baking soda do its work, then stir lightly and place in greased muffin tins.  Or you can use a square baker or small loaf pan.  I like to use regular sized muffin tins.  Fill each cup about 3/4 of the way full. This makes about 6-8 generous sized muffins.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the muffin or type of pan.  I sometimes like to top each muffins with a small chunk of cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking. I love a good cheesy corn muffin.

Serve with softened butter and honey. This went so well with the red beans and rice.  It was a hit. And the muffins make a great snack later or for breakfast the next day, if there are any left over.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers