Friday, October 16, 2009

Short Ribs....these were a slice of heaven

A nice cozy dinner to end the day with.

After a unsatisfying day at work, there is something about coming home to a nice, warm, hearty meal.

On the menu were beef short ribs with wine sauce, fresh green salad, and homemade dinner rolls.  Yummy.  I will share the recipes for the beef ribs and the rolls.

The beef ribs were fall off the bone succulent, combined with the wine sauce it was heaven.  The wine sauce reduced to a wonderful sauce that was good enough that I wanted to drink it out of the pot!  It may not look that great, but the taste was out of this world :-)

1 and 1/2 tsp. Olive or Veggie Oil
all purpose flour for dusting
1 package of beef short ribs, fat trimmed, about 6 ribs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 yellow onion
1 cup rough chopped carrots
1 and 1/2 cups of good dry red wine
1 and 1/2 cups of Low Sodium chicken or beef stock.  I used my homemade chicken stock, as it was all I had
6-8 large cremini mushrooms halved with stems, or 1 portebello rough chopped
4-6 whole small red potatoes
1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
2 cloves smashed garlic
1 tbls. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. franks red hot sauce
chopped fresh parsley


Season ribs with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour.  Heat olive oil in heavy dutch oven or heavy stock pot.  I used the stock pot for a top of the stove cooking method.  Brown the ribs on all sides, till a nice crust forms.  Remove ribs leaving any oil or drippings in the pot.  Add in rough chopped onions and carrots and quickly sautee for about 3 minutes.  Add wine and reduce about half.  Add stock, and all remaining ingredients.  Do not add additional salt at this time!  Bring sauce to a boil, reduce to simmer and add back the ribs.  Cover and simmer.

If you are using a dutch oven you can then move to the oven at 325 for about 3-4 hours, checking for tenderness after 2.5 hours.

I use the top of the stove method.  Simmer for about 2.5 hours and remove lid, check ribs for doneness and tenderness.  Simmer uncovered about 30-50 minutes longer depending on the ribs.  Sauce should reduce to about half and become thick.  You want a nice sauce consistency but not gravy like!  Taste for seasoning, and add salt at this time if not salty enough.

The veggies will become very mushy, but I like this as they almost fall apart and give the sauce body.  Ribs should be fork or fall apart tender. Plate up, and top each with some finely chopped fresh parsley and enjoy.  I enjoyed this with a nice fresh green salad with homemade croutons!





























Next were the rolls.  These are a nice crusty roll that I formed into a small crescent moon shape. But these are not butter crescent style rolls.  This makes about 2.5 dozen rolls depending on size.  These turned out very crusty on the outside with a lovely soft creamy inside.  Perfect for butter and jam.  Or what I did was dip it in the wine sauce.  I think I ate 4 of these little guys before I could stop.

1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk, I used 1%
1/2 oz of yeast
1 room temp egg
2 tbls veggie oil
6 tbls sugar
5-6 cups of flour

I'm not a precision baker, so I added all ingredients, but only about 2 cups of the flour.  I beat this with my electric mixer for about 3-4 minutes.  Then slowly added in the remaining flour about 5 cups total to form a soft sticky dough.  I moved to a floured board and began kneading mixing in more flour till the dough was not sticky.  Kneaded for about 8 minutes.  Placed in greased bowl covered with plastic wrap.  Let rise for about 45 minutes in my warmed oven.

Removed and punched down the dough. Cut the dough into thirds, put 2/3 in fridge for later use and rolled the remaining 1/3 out to about 1/2 inch thick dough.  I cut these out with a round cookie cutter about 2" size.  To get the crescent shape I folded the circles in half.  Moving them to a lightly sprayed cookie sheet.  Covered and let rise for about 30 minutes till almost double.  I found mine did not rise as much as I would like, but I think my yeast may have not been good.  Good idea to prep the yeast in sugar and water first to check to make sure its activated!  Bake at 375 for about 10-12 minutes till golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers