Friday, October 2, 2009

Warm Bread Warm Heart

I have finally come to grips with making bread. Real bread, not bread machine bread. I was tired of the funny shaped loaves that the bread machine makes. So I put on my big girl panties and started to knead!

These cool fall days scream out for warm toasty bread straight from the oven. And the smell is like heaven. I wonder if they make bread scented candles????

I find that I am really loving egg breads right now. This is a modified Challah bread, but made in a loaf instead of the braided loaf. I love the looks of the braid, but well, I just dont find the braided bread makes good sammichs!

This is one recipe that is a no fail for me.

3-3.5 cups of bread or all purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1/4 ounce of yeast
2 eggs (room temp)
2 tbls veggie oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp sugar

I like to mix half of the flour with the other ingredients for about 2-4 minutes on low with a hand mixer. Then spoon in the remaining flour as needed. You may need more of less flour depending.

Place on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl ( I use Pam cooking spray) place in warm part of your kitchen to rise about 1 hour until almost doubled. I like to turn my oven on to warm for about 3-5 minutes, then turn it off and place the bowl inside the oven to rise. When its minus 40 outside my kitchen is not warm enough to get a good rise out of the dough.

After risen, punch down the dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Roll out dough with the width aprox. the size of your bread pan, in a rectangle shape. Roll up dough lightly and place in greased bread pan with the seam side down and edges tucked in if they are too long. Let rise again for 45 minutes to 1 hour. You can brush with egg wash and put poppy seeds or seasme seeds on top as well.

Bake at 375 for aprox. 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and a light tapping on the top and bottom of loaf make a nice hollow sound. Turn out and cool on cooling rack.

I love to serve this with a nice honey butter or a compound butter of garlic and rosemary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers